Director of Development (Contract)
Lever Fund ("Lever") is seeking a Director of Development who is passionate about breaking generational poverty in our region. The Director of Development is responsible for securing new investments while building out Lever’s development strategy and infrastructure. We need an influencer with extensive local philanthropic connections who demonstrates belief in Lever’s results-driven approach and whose values align with Lever’s mission, vision and values. A qualified candidate has exceptional interpersonal skills, an understanding of what drives the entrepreneurial philanthropist and a track record of closing large sales and/or donations.
Jobs of Tomorrow Campaign. Each year, nonprofits in Lever's portfolio that demonstrate high impact or the potential for impact are eligible to receive funding through Lever’s Jobs of Tomorrow Campaign. 100% of the funds raised for the Jobs of Tomorrow Campaign are invested directly into our nonprofit partners to support our region’s highest-performing poverty-alleviating programs for youth. Lever solicits individual investments and then pools the investments together.
Operations Fund. Lever solicits institutional funding to support the organization itself. This annual operations fund, together with contributions from Lever’s Board of Directors, guarantees that none of the donations invested in the Jobs of Tomorrow Campaign are used for Lever’s operations.
Lever’s Interim Executive Director and Board of Directors will partner in each of the above efforts; however, ownership for achieving fundraising goals lies with the Director of Development.
The Director of Development reports to Lever’s Interim Executive Director.
What You’ll Do
Development and Fundraising
- Serve as the principal fundraiser to raise the $500k to advance Lever's mission, allocated in the following way: $300k for our Jobs of Tomorrow campaign and $200k for our Operations Fund. These amounts will increase annually as our organization grows.
- Develop a three-year fundraising plan, with input from the ED and Board of Directors in alignment with the goals and objectives in Lever Fund’s strategic plan.
- Clearly articulate the benefits of Lever's investment model to potential donors, continually reviewing, refining and advancing approaches to building donor relationships.
- Plan and manage events and fundraisers, as appropriate.
Communications and Messaging
- Work with Lever’s marcom team to develop and produce support materials for fundraising, contributing donor-related stories and data and keeping stakeholders informed of our accomplishments through annual and special appeals.
- Contribute to the design of the organization's fundraising communications strategy to ensure that all channels are pushing out appropriate and engaging messaging that is frequent and timely.
Administration and Management
- Develop Lever's fundraising infrastructure, including EveryAction functionalities, automation and donor cycles in order to accurately forecast progress toward funding goals.
- Analyze fundraising data as needed and prepare reports using EveryAction software.
- Oversee the maintenance of updated mailing lists, donor lists and donor profiles.
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of experience developing fundraising strategies and developing revenue-generating partnerships for a purpose-based organization or cause.
- 2+ years of experience with a CRM (customer relationship management) system
- Excellent verbal and written communication ability that demonstrates empathy and persuasively communicates the value of an offering.
- Experience collaborating with different audiences (such as philanthropists, nonprofits, entrepreneurs, investors, government) in diverse cultural and highly local contexts.
- Servant leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force across groups to hold impact discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Strong organizational skills with a track record of working efficiently and meeting deadlines.
What Would Set You Apart
- A strong network among regional philanthropists and philanthropic organizations, including a deep understanding of what motivates entrepreneurs to become philanthropists and what meaning they derive from engaging in this work.
- Experience activating a collaborative fundraising network.
- Knowledge of investment management.
- A passion for breaking the cycle of poverty through youth development.
Who You Are
- You are a doer with a bias for action along with a proclivity for building and maintaining relationships.
- You have a strategic mindset with a talent for leveraging dollars to create value and data to drive decisions.
- You are inclined toward collaboration and love to co-create with a team.
- You bring personal qualities of high energy, optimism, flexibility, tenacity and equanimity.
Compensation and Terms
We are offering a monthly retainer of $4,000 - $5,000, plus bonus incentives. Range is flexible and commensurate with skills and experience. We expect the time commitment will be 15-20 hours per week. Schedule is highly flexible (no fixed office hours). Initial contract term is 6 months to be renewed after performance assessment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Lever Fund is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. All employment decisions at Lever Fund are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, marital status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
To apply, send your resume and a brief statement of interest to Jill Barrett at email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line. Your statement of interest should describe why you are interested in working with Lever and how your network, skills and experience fit with the responsibilities for this role. Lever will follow up with selected applicants to schedule an interview, at which time professional and personal references will be requested.
About Lever Fund
Lever Fund is focused on making the National Capital Region economically equitable by pooling and distributing donor funds to propel youths from low-income families toward their first, well-paying job.
Landing that first employment with regular pay and benefits is critical to breaking the cycle of poverty. Lever Fund funds and cooperates with a network of partner organizations that expose 14-21-year olds to real life work situations through internships, training and networking events. For donors, we offer the convenience and satisfaction of tailor-made portfolios of charitable investments that fit their preferences and promise high impact.
Lever has created a feedback loop that helps donors understand the poverty-fighting impact of their efforts. Donors receive critical data and insights to make informed investment decisions on a regular basis. As our portfolio of nonprofits grows, so does our understanding of what creates the greatest poverty-fighting impact for today’s adolescents. Lever believes engaging philanthropists around insights from our impact assessments will improve the local impact ecosystem by enhancing transparency, promoting equity and influencing future investments that support high-impact poverty-fighting interventions.
[updated April 20, 2022]